Written by Bryan Harris at VideoFruit
What if every time you wrote a blog post you got hundreds of new email subscribers?
Sounds impossible, right?
Two weeks ago I published one blog post that generated 543 subscribers.
A year ago I would have KILLED to have had that many people on my entire list. Using the strategy you’re about to learn, you can get hundreds of new subscribers every time you press publish…even if you have a tiny site.
How do you do it?
A content upgrade is an opt-in bribe created for readers of a specific blog post.
Using content upgrades has grown my list from 205 subscribers to over 10,000 in the past 10 months. I’ve tried 18 different list-building strategies, and content upgrades outperformed all of the others combined.
Take this post, for example.
In that post you’ll learn how to take someone else’s teaching, offer it as a service and generate $1,000 per month in recurring consulting revenue. However, what makes this post unique is that at the bottom of the article is an opt-in bribe created specifically for the readers of that article.
Take a look…
Part 1: Incredibly helpful blog post (see Email1K lesson #2)
Part 2: Bonus content given in exchange for an email address
I’ve consistently seen content upgrades work 6x better than traditional universal opt-in bribes (like generic eBooks).
Step 1: Identify your most popular blog posts
The quickest way to get started using content upgrades is to identify your most popular blog post of the past 90 days and install a content upgrade in that post.
To find your most popular article follow these 4 steps:
Step 1: Login to your Google Analytics Account
Step 2: Click on “Behavior”. “Site Content” and then “All Pages” (sidebar)
Step 3: Set you date range to the last 90 days (upper right hand corner)
Step 4: Identify the blog posts that received the most traffic
Step 2: Create your Content Upgrade
Now you need to create the content upgrade to use in your post. I’ve used 11 different types of content upgrades and have found 3 that work the best.
1. Training Video: Some of the highest converting content upgrades I’ve created are training videos that show my readers how to do what I just taught them in the blog post. You can easily create these videos using the free screen recording software Jing.
2. Checklist: Turn your blog post into an easy to follow checklist. 3,000 word in-depth blog posts are great but it’s really easy to get lost in them. By turning the post into a short checklist the information becomes much more actionable. Use this Google Doc template to create your checklist.
3. Resource Lists: In the post referenced above I compiled a list of links that helped the reader take action on the strategies that I outlined in the post. You can compile all of the links into a Google Doc. Here is the list I compiled and offered as a content upgrade (use it as a template to create your own).
Step 3: Setup your Content Upgrade
Setting up content upgrades can be a pain in the butt.
Leadpages: I made a tutorial video showing you exactly how to do it using LeadPages.(Use this special Email1K link to pay $1 to get a Leadpages template and free 30 day trial – then it’s $67/month)
Lesson 3 Task
Today, we are going to help you get 30%+ more email subscribers every day.
1. Identify your most popular post through Google Analytics
2. Create a relevant content upgrade: video, checklist or resource list. (Use my checklist example)
3. Set up Leadpages or install Leads by SumoMe for free.
4. Embed your Content Upgrade in the top 1/3 and at the bottom of your post
Now Sit back and enjoy the new email signups. If you are highly motivated, set up your next four most popular posts.
Leave a comment with a link to your page featuring your Content Upgrade.